How a Donor-Advised Fund Works
If you’re like most people, you give to your favorite charities; keep receipts for your taxes; and feel like you’re all set when it comes to giving.
But imagine if there was a better way to give? What if you could…
- Get the most favorable tax savings available, when you need it;
- Give your charitable contributions the chance to grow tax-free year over year – helping to increase the total amount you give; and simplify the paperwork in the process.
Well you don’t have to imagine it. There really is a better way. With a TIAA Charitable Giving Fund you simply Contribute - Grow - and Give.
Instead of writing checks to individual charities, you give to your TIAA Charitable Giving Fund….
- …consolidating all your donations into one place…
- …allowing you to simplify and schedule your tax deductions…
- …Pay no capital gains tax on long-term appreciated stock or property…
- …and have a greater impact for your charities, and your tax savings – with less effort.
A Giving Fund is an easy way to support your giving over years or decades
All growth is tax-free – which can increase the impact of your donations.
And there are no checks or receipts to keep track of.
GO ONLINE TO advise us regarding which charities you want your Giving Fund to support and we send out the checks and take care of all the paperwork.
See why so many donors are now using a Giving Fund.
Contact TIAA Charitable today –
…or talk to your financial advisor about making a bigger impact with your giving.
Get a Smarter Tax Deduction
When you contribute to your Giving Fund, your contribution is irrevocable and may be eligible for an immediate tax deduction for the current year. There is no need to immediately recommend grants (that's the term for using your Giving Fund to support specific charities). You can get the benefit of a tax deduction right away and decide later on the charity or cause you want to support.
- No capital gains taxes on long-term appreciated securities, like stocks
- One simple year-end statement (no sorting receipts)
- Confirmation for each Giving Fund contribution provided for tax purposes
While you’re deciding on the charities you want to support, use your Giving Fund to potentially grow your contributions into a more substantial gift for farther down the road. Your Giving Fund can last for multiple years. All growth is tax-free.
- Use our tools to make a giving plan
- Set a target giving goal
- Recommend an investment approach to potentially grow your contributions
- Keep track of your Giving Fund online
Give to Charities
You can draw on your Giving Fund to support charities anytime you want — recommend grants (that’s how you advise us what charities you'd like to support) of $50 and up. Choose your favorite charity or look for a new cause. We send out the checks and take care of all the paperwork.
- Recommend grants to eligible charities in amounts of $50 or more
- No paperwork — we keep track of everything
- Track your grant history online at any time
Contributions to the Giving Fund are irrevocable. All recommendations from donors are subject to review and approval by TIAA Charitable.
TIAA Charitable does not provide tax advice. Taxpayers should seek advice based on their own particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.
TIAA Charitable is the brand name for an independent public charity that maintains a donor-advised fund program. The TIAA name is a registered mark of Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America and is used by TIAA Charitable pursuant to a license.
TIAA Charitable, Inc. has been recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt public charity under Sections 501(c)(3) and 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”).