How a Donor-Advised Fund Works
If you’re like most people, you give to your favorite charities; keep receipts for your taxes; and feel like you’re all set when it comes to giving.
But imagine if there were a better way to give?
What if you could…
- Get the most favorable tax savings available, when you need it;
- Pay no capital gains tax on long-term appreciation;
- Give your charitable contributions the chance to grow tax-free year over year – helping to increase the total amount you give; and
- Simplify the paperwork in the process.
Well, you don’t have to imagine it. There really is a better way. With a TIAA Charitable Giving Fund you simply contribute, grow and give.
Instead of writing checks to individual charities, you give to your TIAA Charitable Giving Fund...
- Consolidating all your donations into one place
- Allowing you to simplify and schedule your tax deductions
- Pay no capital gains tax on long-term appreciated stock or property
- And have a greater impact for your charities, and your tax savings – with less effort
A Giving Fund is an easy way to support your giving over years or decades.
All growth is tax-free – which can increase the impact of your donations.
And there are no checks or receipts to keep track of.
You advise us regarding which charities you want us to support.
Go online to advise us regarding which charities you want your Giving Fund to support and we send out the checks and take care of all the paperwork.
See why so many donors are now using a Giving Fund.
Contact TIAA Charitable today or talk to your financial advisor about making a bigger impact with your giving.
Get a Smarter Tax Deduction
When you contribute to your Giving Fund, your contribution is irrevocable and may be eligible for a tax deduction for the current year. You decide when to recommend grants (that's the term for using your Giving Fund to support specific charities). You can get the benefit of a tax deduction right away and decide later on the charities or causes you want to support.
- No capital gains taxes on long-term appreciated securities, like stocks
- All contributions are in one place (no sorting receipts)
- Confirmation for each Giving Fund contribution is provided for tax purposes
Grow Tax Free
While you’re deciding which charities you want to support, use your Giving Fund to potentially grow your contributions into a more substantial gift at a later date. Your Giving Fund can last for multiple years or even decades. All growth is tax-free.
- Use our tools to make a giving plan
- Set a target giving goal
- Recommend an investment approach to potentially grow your contributions
- Track your Giving Fund online
Give to Charities
You can use your Giving Fund to support charities anytime you want — recommend grants (that's how you advise us what charities you'd like to support) of $50 and up. Choose your favorite charity or look for a new cause. We send out the checks and take care of all the paperwork.
- Recommend grants to IRS-eligible charities in amounts of $50 or more
- No paperwork — we keep track of everything
- Track your Giving Fund's grant history online at any time
*TIAA Charitable accepts certain complex assets, which may include real estate, artwork, C- and S-corp stock, LLC and limited partnership interests, life insurance policies, patents, royalties and copyrights. Contributions are subject to review by TIAA Charitable. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation.
Contributions to the Giving Fund are irrevocable. All recommendations from donors are subject to review and approval by TIAA Charitable.
TIAA Charitable does not provide legal or tax advice. Before establishing a Giving Fund, taxpayers should seek advice based on their own particular circumstances from an independent legal or tax advisor.